Criminal Appeals

Just because you or someone you love has been given a guilty verdict, or a harsh sentence, does not mean that you have to accept this it. In the United States, we have a right to appeal, and if you have grounds to appeal this conviction or the sentence, whether there were mistakes made, or you feel the sentencing was excessive, the skilled Polk County Criminal Appeals Attorneys at Graves Law Firm, P.C. can help you ensure that you receive justice.
The Clive and Des Moines, Iowa Attorneys at Graves Law Firm, P.C. handle appeals throughout the state of Iowa and federal appeals in nearby states. Time is of the essence in the appeals process–contacting a Criminal Defense Lawyer immediately is crucial. For example, you must file an appeal for an Iowa criminal matter within 30 days of sentencing. Acting quickly with the help of a skilled criminal defense lawyer is crucial to get the ball rolling.

What is an appeal?

An appeal is a request made in which a higher court, such as the Iowa Supreme Court, to reexamine your trial’s record for errors that were unjust, and that potentially affected the trial’s outcome. Some examples of errors that could affect a sentence are:

  • Evidence allowed or excluded
  • Misconduct of the prosecution
  • Improper instructions to the jury
  • Incompetent representation
  • A judge’s pre-trial ruling

Being upset about the outcome of a case does not necessitate filing for an appeal. There have to be grounds, or just cause, in order to go through this process. If there are indeed grounds, and by undergoing this process the appellate court determines that there were errors that potentially affected the outcome of the case, either your conviction will be set aside or they will order a new trial. If the sentence being appealed is severe, the appeals court will decide whether the sentence should remain as-is or if you should be sentenced again.

Sometimes the appeals process does not give you the justice you feel you deserve. After all appeals processes are attempted, there is one more avenue that a defendant can take, call in federal court a write of habeus corpus, or, in state court, a Post-Conviction Relief Action. This is a re-opening of your case due to grievous mistakes made on the part of the lawyer who initially handled your case. In a habeas corpus or PCR hearing, the court can be presented with new evidence and you can attempt to begin again.

The Des Moines, IA Criminal Appeals Lawyers at Graves Law Firm, P.C. will work tirelessly with you to navigate the complex appeals process. Everyone deserves justice; allow the Criminal Attorneys at Polk County’s Graves Law Firm, P.C. help you get what you deserve. Contact us today at 515-309-3776.